It will be the "BIGGEST WEEK OF THE SEASON" with five parades and a concert performance! The first parade of this week will take place on Tuesday night, July 3, in Menomonee Falls. We will also be participating in two parades on our nation's birthday, July 4, in Wauwatosa and Brown Deer. NEW THIS YEAR – LVW has also been invited to perform at the July 4th festivities at The Wisconsin Club! Then on Thursday the band heads to our "home away from home" at the National Cherry Festival in beautiful Traverse City, Michigan. The band will participate in parades on Thursday, July 5 and Saturday, July 7.
Many thanks go out to our crew of volunteers! Our kitchen coordinators and workers put in more time than anyone can imagine to keep our band fed and well nourished! The uniform staff has done well to keep us looking and smelling awesome! Again, their work behind the scenes and on off days is much appreciated. Thanks also to Bryan Thede and Dan Fick for their continued work with the truck and equipment. A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR VOLUNTEERS!
The first three weeks of our season have been spent primarily in rehearsal with a few parades. The kids and staff have pushed to make our parade performances as good as they can possibly be. Their efforts will finally be rewarded with some much needed Free Time and Fun Time for socializing!
Here are some of the fun/free time activities we have planned:
1. Wednesday, July 4 - Following the two parades, the band will be the featured performing group at The Wisconsin Club. Our performance will include a pre-dinner concert, as well as playing Battle Hymn prior to the Fireworks that night. We will also be guests at their “All You Can Eat Buffet” with salads, meats, desserts, and beverages, and will join in on their dunk tank, bouncy houses/ inflatables, and other fun July 4 activities. The Club has even offered their locker rooms and showers for the band to use following their in-uniform performance before dinner. We are told they provide soap, shampoo, hair dryers, and warm towels! Thanks to John Bieberitz for helping to make this performance possible!
2. Friday, July 6 - After a morning rehearsal, the band will be taking the rest of the day off for free time at the National Cherry Festival! We are making a return to the Sleeping Bear Dunes near Traverse City. Then LVW will have several hours at the National Cherry Festival grounds as well as Downtown Traverse City. In all of our years traveling with the band - Traverse City seems to be our favorite destination! LVW members will need SPENDING MONEY for their SUPPER on this day, as they will be "on their own" at the festival and downtown.
We will be staying at Wisconsin Lutheran HS on Tuesday and Wednesday evening until we depart for Traverse City on Thursday morning, so all staff and LVW members are to pack accordingly. Remember, you should pack for FIVE days, but again try to utilize small suitcases and duffel bags. We are traveling with school buses for Tuesday and Wednesday so space will be very limited. We will be traveling on luxurious Nationwide Motorcoaches for the trip to Traverse City!
Here is a summary of our rehearsals and performances this coming week. The links provided here and in the daily itinerary below will take you directly to information provided by each parade committee or organization. You will see routes, times, and maps.
Tuesday, July 3 - Independence Day Parade in Menomonee Falls (7:00 PM)
Wednesday, July 4 – Wauwatosa Independence Day Parade, 9:00 AM; Brown Deer 4th of July Parade, 1:30 PM; Wisconsin Club Performance, 6:00 PM
Thursday, July 5 - Travel to Traverse City, march in the Junior Royale Parade
Friday, July 6 - Morning rehearsal, afternoon at the Dunes and Downtown Traverse City
Saturday, July 7 - March in the Cherry Royale Parade, then return home
LVW will be housed at the following locations:
Wisconsin Lutheran HS (Tuesday and Wednesday nights)
330 Glenview Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53213
Trinity Lutheran Church and School (Thursday and Friday nights)
1003 South Maple
Traverse City, MI 49684
Trinity Lutheran Church and School: 231-946-2720
Emergency contact information:
Joel Ungemach Mobile Phone - 920-973-3240
Since this is a rehearsal, performance, and travel week, LVW members should remember to pack the following:
Sleeping bag and pillow
Air mattress (optional)
ONE suitcase and ONE SMALL Carry-on bag (for motorcoach travel)
All personal items as needed (towel, soap and shampoo, change of clothes, DEODERANT, etc.)
BLACK SHOES AND SOCKS, BLACK A-4 T-SHIRTS, BLACK GLOVES, GUARD APPAREL, ETC. (Note we have SIX performances this trip!)
LVW 2018 Season T-Shirt (We will wear these at the Wisconsin Club after we change out of uniform)
Instruments, music, etc.
Water jugs, sunscreen, bug spray, sunglasses, comfortable marching shoes, hats, etc.
EXTRA INFO - students may want to bring swim suits and towels, as there is a very nice beach area near the Cherry Festival grounds. Some students also walk the approximately 2 miles from the Dunes to the Lake Michigan shoreline. Swimming is optional for all LVW students.
Here are some items to consider having on the Nationwide Motorcoaches for our trip to Traverse City:
Bring on the coach bus in your small carry-on bag
1. Charging cord for devices.(there's an outlet in the back of every seat)
3. A blanket (air conditioning is quite chilly)
4. A DVD movie (one to watch on the bus monitors, PG-13, PG, or G.)
5. Comfy clothes and sweatshirt for bus ride
6. A few snacks for bus ride, but not many and nothing messy.
And, regarding spending money...
7. Set aside $15-20 for the Traverse City marching band t-shirt. These can be purchased at the Cherry Festival grounds. Band members can purchase them if they wish.
8. Set aside $10 for your supper at the Cherry Festival Fairgrounds/TC downtown for the evening of Friday, July 6. There are MANY choices of great places to eat, from nicer restaurants and bistros downtown to vendor tents in the Festival Grounds and the Carnival. Obviously, some places are more expensive than others.
Checkout Procedures for Saturday, July 7:
If you are going to be picked up following the Cherry Royale parade, and are not traveling home with LVW, the following procedures MUST be followed:
1. Your parents must pick you up following the parade. That will be on Saturday after the Cherry Royale Parade. If you pick up your child after the parade, please pick up your child at Trinity Lutheran Church and School. Please be aware, if you are picking up your child, you must be there before the band is ready to leave. If you are not there when the band is ready to leave, your child will come with the band to KML and you can pick them up at that location.
2. Your parents must check you out with the attendance chaperon from your bus. This must be done with you and your parent present.
3. If your parents are not there when the band is ready to leave, you will come with us. We leave no one behind – EVER!
4. You may not ride home with anyone else other than your parents UNLESS you have a written permission signed by your parents, and UNLESS that written permission is put into our hands. DON’T FORGET THE NOTE AT HOME, because there are NO EXCEPTIONS!
Daily Itinerary for Tuesday through Saturday
Tuesday, July 3
8:00 AM Arrive FVL, Load (Students from MLHS, WISCO, KML, and SLHS will meet directly at Bethlehem. Check with your school's transportation coordinator for travel plans)
8:15 AM Depart for Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran School, N84 W15252 Menomonee Ave, Menomonee Falls, WI 53051
9:45 AM Arrive Bethlehem Lutheran School, Unload
10:00 AM Rehearsal at Bethlehem
12:00 PM Lunch
1:00 PM Rehearsal
5:00 PM Supper
5:45 PM Change into uniform, pre-parade warm up at Bethlehem
7:00 PM Parade begins – Parade ends at Menomonee Falls HS, W142 N8101 Merrimac Dr, Menomonee Falls, WI 53051
10:00 PM Depart for Wisconsin Lutheran HS, 330 Glenview Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53213
10:30 PM Arrive Wisconsin LHS – Unload, move in
Wednesday, July 4
Wednesday, July 4 – Happy Birthday, America!
Concert and Free Time at the Wisconsin Club!
7:00 AM Load buses at Wisconsin Lutheran HS, 330 Glenview Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53213
7:30 AM Depart for Wauwatosa Parade Line Up (Wauwatosa Civic Center parking lot at Wauwatosa Ave (76th Street) and North Ave)
7:50 AM Arrive line up, unload, warm up
9:00 AM Wauwatosa Independence Day Parade begins - LVW #30 in this parade.
10:30 AM Pick Up point following the parade is 104th and North Avenue (Mayfair Shopping Center)
10:30 AM Lunch will be served in the Mayfair Parking Lot
11:30 AM Load and travel to Brown Deer Parade Line Up (Brown Deer Elementary School, 5757 W Dean Road, Brown Deer, WI 53223)
12:00 PM Arrive at the line up area
1:30 PM Brown Deer July 4th Parade begins (Parade ends at Village Park, 4920 South Greenbrook Terrace, Brown Deer, WI 53223) - LVW #42 in this parade. We are the last unit, a "Place of Honor!"
3:30 PM Eat post-parade snack, Pack and Load
4:00 PM Depart for the Wisconsin Club, 6200 Good Hope Road, Milwaukee, WI 53223
4:15 PM Arrive at the Wisconsin Club, park, unload
5:00 PM Warm Up for the Wisconsin Club Performance
6:00 PM Wisconsin Club Performance begins
6:30 PM Shower and Change (shorts and LVW Season T-Shirt) at the Wisconsin Club
7:00 PM Dinner Buffet (AYCE!) and July 4th Activities at the Wisconsin Club
9:00 PM Warm Up and prepare for Pre-Fireworks performance
9:30 PM Pre-Fireworks Performance (in Shorts and LVW Season T-Shirt)
9:45 PM FIREWORKS at the Wisconsin Club!
10:30 PM Pack and depart for Wisconsin Lutheran HS, 330 Glenview Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53213
11:00 PM Arrive WLHS
11:30 PM Devotion and Lights Out
Thursday, July 5
Travel Day – Milwaukee to Traverse City, MI (420 Miles)
Move in to Trinity, Junior Royale Parade
Housing for Thursday through Saturday will be at Trinity Lutheran School, 1003 South Maple Street, Traverse City, MI 49684
Trinity Phone – 231-946-2721
5:30 AM Wake Up/Shower/Eat, Pack, and Load
6:15 AM Load Buses
7:00 AM Depart for TC
TBD – Rest stops along the way - Lunch will be served at Michigan Welcome Center, New Buffalo, MI
4:00 PM Arrive Trinity Lutheran School/unload/move in
4:30 PM Eat Pre-parade snack
5:00 PM Change into Half Uniform, load buses/truck
5:15 PM Depart for line up
6:30 PM Touchstone Energy Junior Royale Parade Begins – LVW is #20 in this parade
8:00 PM Return to Trinity, change out of uniform
8:30 PM Supper at Trinity
10:30 PM Devotion
11:00 PM Lights out
Friday, July 6
Sleeping Bear Dunes, Cherry Festival Grounds, Downtown Traverse City
7:30 AM Wake up, shower, eat
8:30 AM Rehearsal
11:30 AM Lunch
12:30 PM Depart for Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
1:15 PM Arrive Dunes
4:15 PM Depart for Cherry Festival
5:00 PM Arrive National Cherry Festival
5:00 PM SUPPER IS ON YOUR OWN. LVW members bring money for supper, souvenirs, shopping
9:00 PM Return to Trinity
11:15 PM Devotion
11:45 PM Lights out
Saturday, July 7
DTE Energy Cherry Royale Parade
7:30 AM Wake Up, Shower, eat, dress
9:00 AM Change into uniform
9:30 AM School pictures
11:00 AM Depart for Line up
11:15 AM DTE Energy Cherry Royale Parade Begins – LVW is #77 in this parade
1:30 PM Return to Trinity
1:30 PM Change out of uniform, eat lunch, shower, load, clean facilities
3:00 PM Depart for Walker, MI
5:30 PM Supper in Walker, MI Golden Corral (3461 Alpine Ave NW, Walker, MI 49544)
6:30 PM Depart for home - Change watches BACK one hour when you get to Chicago
9:00 PM Arrive Shoreland LHS – Split LVW into KML/FVL and MLHS/WISCO
9:45 PM Arrive Wisconsin LHS
11:30 PM Arrive MLHS
10:00 PM Arrive KML
11:30 PM Arrive FVL
Ecclesiastes 3:1 "To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven."