This post contains LOTS of information! Please take the time to read through EVERYTHING, as there are important details for both MEMBERS and PARENTS - so make sure members and parents read through this. It would be a great idea to sit down and do this together, so that nothing is left to chance or missed.
Check Back to this Site OFTEN!
This website is the main method of communication for LVW. Important updates, such as weekly itineraries, travel information, and weekend-specific information will always be posted on the "Director's Updates" page. We will also send periodic notifications via email and Facebook (this is LVW's general Facebook page), but those messages will almost always direct you to this page. Important links will also be posted to the LVW Homepage, but again, those links will usually direct you here.
If you are Facebook, and would like to join our group page, ask to join LVW 2015.
Volunteering for LVW - A Great Opportunity to Let Your Light Shine!
Very soon, we will be sending volunteer information to all LVW parents. We will once again be using "Volunteer Spot" to indicate when, where, and how you would like to assist. We will be adding volunteer opportunities to the online sign up as the summer progresses, but will have volunteer opportunities for Band Camp week up in the near future. Once the schedule for sign up is posted, we will let you know via website, email, and Facebook.
Updated June and July Calendar
A Google Calendar for LVW 2015 events has been posted to our "Schedule" page. This calendar includes ICAL and XML Links for syncing them to your personal devices. You can click on individual events for more detailed information, including times, locations, and maps!
Important Band Camp Information:
Dates: Tuesday, June 9 – Saturday, June 13
Beginning time: 10:00 AM on Tuesday (arrive by 9:30)
Place: All camp activities will take place at FVL in Appleton, with parades in Brillion (Friday), and Appleton (Saturday).
Housing during June
If you have not yet filled out the Housing/Hosting forms, please do so ASAP. We need to make sure that all families are accounted for as to housing or hosting students. The link to the housing info can be found on our home page or by going to this Housing link.
I am still looking for a parent or two to assist with the housing assignments. If you are able to take care of this, email me at email@example.com.
We are still looking for parents who are able to coordinate our meal program for this summer. We do have some of our trips covered, but the weeks at FVL are still open. We have several parents who have indicated they would like to help, but not anyone as of yet to take the lead. Look for more information in the coming weeks before camp for updates on our meal plan. Helping with meals is also great opportunity for grandparents, aunts and uncles, and brothers and sisters as well! Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help coordinate our meals during June. You can also contact Holly Kubek, who has led our meal program for the past two years, with questions regarding assisting in the kitchen or other general questions.
LVW Staff and Members should bring a bag lunch for Tuesday, June 9. All other meals along with all beverages will be provided during camp. Please bring something healthy, such as a sandwich, fresh fruit/vegetables in addition to chips/dessert items. LVW will provide beverages for the meal.
We have found from past experience that the best liquids to drink at rehearsals are products such as Gatorade, PowerAde, lemonade and other fruit juices, or plain cold water. Please do not bring POP (soda) to drink on rehearsal days for your lunch.
Forms and payments:
Remember that all forms must be turned in by the start of band camp. Most forms are in, but a few need to be turned in yet. An email will be sent soon to families who have yet to turn in forms, so if you do not receive that email (from email@example.com with the subject "LVW Forms Request") your forms are in. Just as a reminder to all, if the medical and permission forms are not in our possession, that member will not be allowed to travel with the band to any performance. The forms are all available on the bands’ website. Links to each form are available on the "Join" page. Please also remember that fees for the summer should be paid by the start of band camp.
Tuesday,June 9 - 10:00 AM until 9:00 PM
Wednesday,June 10 - 8:30 AM until 9:00 PM
Thursday,June 11 - 8:30 AM until 9:00 PM
Friday,June 12 - 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Brillion Electric Parade 9:00 PM
Saturday, June 13 - 8:30 - 11:00 AM
Appleton Flag Day Parade 2:00 PM - LVW is #53 out of approximately 100 units in the parade
LVW members will be dismissed from FVL following the parade. We will be changing out of uniform and making sure the school is clean and in order before departure. The expected time of departure will be approximately 5:00 - 5:30 PM on Saturday, June 13.
First Performances of the Year:
Our first performance of the year will be on Friday, June 12, when LVW will travel to Brillion to participate in the Brillion Electric Parade. The parade will begin at 9:00 PM. A few words of caution for this parade: bring mosquito repellent, rain slickers and umbrellas (if past years are any indication of what we can expect)! The parade travels right down the middle of town on Main Street (South end and travels North) through the business district. As of this writing, LVW’s position in the parade is not known.
Our next performance of the 2015 season is Saturday, June 13, in the 65th Annual Appleton Flag Day Parade, the “largest and oldest Flag Day Parade in the United States.” This parade begins at 2:00 PM. The route begins at the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Oneida Street, travels west on Wisconsin to State Street where it turns south. It continues on State Street to College Avenue, where it travels east to Drew Street where the parade ends. There will be a reviewing stand where many, MANY LVW parents and fans like to congregate. The stand is in the block just before the end of the parade at 321 E College Avenue. Much more information can be found at the parade's website. The following link will also take you to a MAP of the Appleton parade route. A complete Parade Line Up is also available by clicking the link.
WFRV TV 5 will videotape the Parade for rebroadcast on WFRV TV 5 on Saturday, June 13 from 10:35 p.m. – 12:05 a.m. and on Sunday, June 21 from 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Viewers in all of Northeastern Wisconsin and Upper Michigan will be able to see it.
What to bring with you to band camp:
LVW members should pack clothing for five days of rehearsal and performance. Please remember your personal uniform items, which include the black shoes/socks, gloves, and t-shirts. There is a more detailed packing list for band camp following so you can make sure you have all of the necessary items.
We will be placing an order for the black shoes for the wind and percussion members on Tuesday of camp week. If you do not have shoes yet, or need to order new ones if your older shoes need to be replaced, you will be fitted for shoes on Tuesday of band camp. We will take care of the shoe fittings before lunch on Tuesday.
We will be staying in host homes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night, and at FVL on Friday night. All members should bring a sleeping bag/pillow/air mattress and personal items (deodorant/towel/soap/shampoo/etc). These will be needed on Friday night when we stay at FVL. Some members will also need these items for staying at host homes on Tuesday through Thursday.
1. Instrument and/or other necessary equipment
2. All music and warm-ups—memorized!
3. Enough comfortable clothing for five days of camp, especially comfortable shoes!! (Note that no sandals of any kind will be allowed for any marching or music rehearsals) Bring clothes for very warm or cool weather.
4. Sunscreen or sunblock (SPF 30 or higher) – and be sure to use it! A WIDE-BRIMMED hat/baseball cap is also a MUST. We will be on a field or a parking lot for much of camp.
5. A one gallon (or other large size) water jug LABLED WITH YOUR NAME
6. Reeds, valve oil, slide grease, cork grease, etc.
7. A spiral-bound dot book (notebook – 3x5 or 4x6 size) with shoestring for writing drill coordinates and a pen or pencil
8. Tennis shoes for use indoors—the shoes used outside may not be allowed on the gym floors if they are too dirty.
9. Frisbees, cards, cribbage boards, chess sets, etc. for any free time that you MIGHT have (NOTE: Frisbees and balls or any other throwing device will not be used at any time inside any building – this rule applies to the entire summer.)
10. Your black marching shoes (some members will be receiving these at Band Camp)
11. BLACK SOCKS for all members, including guard
12. Black Spandex or Bike shorts for under your uniform
13. 2 BLACK T-SHIRTS – These will be given to you at band camp if you have not received one already. They will be $7.50 each. You may pay for them at camp, or the cost will be added to your next statement. Please do not buy t-shirts on your own. We are buying these from a supplier so they are all the same. Many members will be able to use these shirts from previous years.
14. Anything else that you will need for your marching instrument, equipment, uniform, and performance
15. LOTS OF ENTHUSIASM AND A STRONG DESIRE TO LEARN!!
Color guard members are to make sure that you have all of the needed uniform items, which include black socks, black spandex shorts and black T-shirts (which you will pick up at camp), and your black shoes. Other parts of the uniform will be supplied to you before our first performances.
We will be wearing our LVW uniforms for all performances this summer. These uniforms become the visual representation of who and what we are. Wear your uniform with pride and respect, and take care of it in the same way! Guidelines on how to take proper care of your new uniform will be given to you during band camp.
All wind and percussion players are to bring along black shoes, black socks, and black shorts as outlined above. Everyone will be given a pair of black gloves, which will be worn with the uniform. The first pair will be free. For all extra gloves that you may need for the summer, the cost will be $3.00 per pair. Be sure to have your money with you. It is a good idea to purchase an extra pair, just in case. Also, for extended weekend trips with several performances, the second pair will come in very handy. If anyone loses their gloves, a new pair must be purchased. Take care of this very visible part of your uniform!
Special notes on your appearance for our performances:
1. No jewelry is to be worn during performances. This includes rings and watches. Ladies may wear earring posts only if they are covered by Band-Aid material. If your ears were not already pierced, it would be wise to wait until after our season is done!
2. Guys are allowed to wear earrings for rehearsals or other non-performance times while with the band. The following guidelines apply to guys – you are permitted to wear one post or stud earring per ear. You are not permitted to wear dangling or hoop earrings, or more than one earring per ear lobe.
3. Hair must be worn back. There are to be no bangs allowed to hang down in front, or curls down the side. If the hair reaches over the collar of the uniform, it must be worn under the hat, either pinned up or contained in a hair net. This includes gentlemen whose hair is long and/or unkempt. Gentlemen, it is best if your hair is cut short for the summer.
4. Gentlemen must be clean-shaven for all performances.
Attire when with the band:
As we head into the summer season, we would like to remind you to use good taste and judgement in your choice of what to wear. Remember that we are all witnesses for our Savior, even in rehearsals! Please follow these guidelines:
1. Extremely short shorts, bare midriffs, nearly-bare midriffs (if your tummy shows when you stretch up), spaghetti-strap tank-tops, or the very loose-fitting sleeveless-style tops are not acceptable for any of our members, male or female, as these could detract from the image and purpose of our band, and could possibly prove to be a stumbling block for others.
2. Gentlemen must wear a shirt at all times, for the same reasons as in #1.
3. Shirts, caps, or other clothing with logos of rock groups, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, or objectionable slogans are not to be worn, as they detract from the image and purpose of our band.
4. Shoes must be worn at all times, except when sleeping. Shower flip-flops should be worn to and from the showers.
A good rule of thumb in choosing clothing for any LVW activity is this: If you have to ask, don’t wear it!
Emergency phone numbers for camp:
FVL - 920-739-4441
Mr. Neujahr cell phone - 920-740-3924
Mr. Kramer cell phone - 920-242-9835
Help needed with uniforms during camp – ESPECIALLY TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY!:
We are looking for several parents to help with uniform tasks during the week of camp. No real skill is necessary for fitting uniforms – only a willingness to help LVW members look their best! Let me know if you are able to help during camp, for a day or for a few hours (firstname.lastname@example.org)!