Dates: Tuesday, June 4 – Saturday, June 8
Beginning time: 10:00 AM on Tuesday (arrive by 9:45)
Place: All camp activities will take place at FVL in Appleton, with parades in Brillion (Friday), and Appleton (Saturday)
For band camp, please bring your own bag lunch for Tuesday, June 4. All other meals along with all beverages will be provided during camp. Please bring something healthy, such as a sandwich, fresh fruit/vegetables in addition to chips/dessert items. LVW will provide beverages for the meal.
We have found from past experience that the best liquids to drink at rehearsals are products such as Gatorade, PowerAde, lemonade and other fruit juices, or plain cold water. Please do not bring POP (soda) to drink on rehearsal days for your lunch.
Forms and payments:
Remember that all forms must be turned in at band camp. Most forms are in, but a few remain “somewhere out there.” Just as a reminder to all, if the medical and permission forms are not in our possession, that member will not be allowed to travel with the band to any performance. The forms are all available on the bands’ website at www.lutheranvanguard.org. There is a link right on the home page. Please also remember that fees for the summer should be paid by the start of band camp.
Tuesday,June 4 - 10:00 AM until 9:00 PM
Wednesday,June 5 - 8:30 AM until 9:00 PM
Thursday,June 6 - 8:30 AM until 9:00 PM
Friday,June 7 - 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Brillion Electric Parade 9:00 P.M.
Saturday, June 8 - 8:30 - 11:00 AM
Appleton Flag Day Parade 2:00 P.M. LVW is #79 out of approximately 100 units in the parade
Our first performance of the year will be on Friday, June 7, when LVW will travel to Brillion to participate in the Brillion Electric Parade. The parade will begin at 9:00 PM. A few words of caution for this parade: bring mosquito repellent, rain slickers and umbrellas (if past years are any indication of what we can expect)! The parade travels right down the middle of town on Main Street (South end and travels North) through the business district. As of this writing, LVW’s position in the parade is not known.
Our next performance of the 2013 season is Saturday, June 8, in the 63rd Annual Appleton Flag Day Parade, the “largest and oldest Flag Day Parade in the United States.” This parade begins at 2:00. The route begins at the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Oneida Street, travels West on Wisconsin to State Street where it turns South. It continues on State Street to College Avenue, and travels East to Union Street where the parade ends. It will again be broadcast live by WFRV TV - Channel 5. The TV area will be near the corner of Wisconsin and Superior Streets. If you are wondering, the Appleton parade is not competitive, so there is no “judging area” where you can all gather. However, as in past years, there will be a reviewing stand where many, MANY LVW parents and fans like to congregate. The stand is in the block just before the end of the parade at 321 E College Avenue. More information can be found at the parade's website.
Checkout Procedures for the end of Band Camp
If you are going to be picked up following the parade, and are not returning on the bus or with your school’s transportation, the following procedures MUST be followed:
Your parents must pick you up where we are changing out of uniform. For this weekend, that will be on Saturday, at Fox Valley Lutheran HS. If you are picking up your child at FVL, you must be there when the band is ready to leave. If you are not there when the band is ready to leave, your child will travel home with your school's designated transportation.
Your parents must check you out with the attendance chaperon from your bus or your director. This must be done with you and your parent present.
If your parents are not there when the band is ready to leave, you will travel with your school's designated transportation. We leave no one behind – EVER!
You may not ride home with anyone else other than your parents UNLESS you have a written permission signed by your parents, and UNLESS that written permission is put into our hands. DON’T FORGET THE NOTE AT HOME, because there are NO EXCEPTIONS!
What to bring with you to band camp:
1. Instrument and/or other necessary equipment
2. All music and warm-ups—memorized!
3. Enough comfortable clothing for five days of camp, especially comfortable shoes!! (Note again that no sandals of any kind will be allowed for any marching or music rehearsals) Bring clothes for very warm or cool weather.
4. Sunscreen or sunblock – and be sure to use it! A WIDE-BRIMMED hat/baseball cap is also a MUST. We will be on a field for much of camp.
5. A one gallon (or other large size) water jug LABLED WITH YOUR NAME
6. Reeds, valve oil, slide grease, cork grease, etc.
7. A spiral-bound dot book (notebook – 3x5 or 4x6 size) with shoestring for writing drill and a pen or pencil
8. Tennis shoes for use in the gymnasiums—the shoes used outside may not be allowed on the gym floors if they are too dirty.
9. Frisbees, cards, chess sets, etc. for any free time that you MIGHT have (NOTE: Frisbees and balls or any other throwing device will not be used at any time inside any building – this rule applies to the entire summer.)
10. Your black marching shoes
11. BLACK SOCKS for all members, including guard
12. Black Spandex or Bike shorts for under your uniform
13. 2 BLACK T-SHIRTS – These will be given to you at band camp if you have not received one already. They will be $7.50 each. You may pay for them at camp, or the cost will be added to your next statement. Please do not buy t-shirts on your own. We are buying these from a supplier so they are all the same.
14. Anything else that you will need for your marching instrument, equipment, uniform, and performance
15. LOTS OF ENTHUSIASM AND A STRONG DESIRE TO LEARN!!
Color guard members are to make sure that you have all of the needed uniform items, which include black socks, black spandex shorts and black T-shirts (which you will pick up at camp), and your black shoes.
We will be wearing our LVW uniforms for all performances this summer. These uniforms become the visual representation of who and what we are. Wear your uniform with pride and respect, and take care of it in the same way! Guidelines on how to take proper care of your new uniform will be given to you during band camp.
All wind and percussion players are to bring along black shoes, black socks, and black shorts as outlined above. As in past years, all wind players are responsible for purchasing and washing their own pair of gloves. Some members have already been given a pair of practice gloves. If not, you will get them at camp. Everyone will also be given a pair of black gloves, which will be worn with the uniform. The first pair will be free. For all extra gloves that you may need for the summer, the cost will be $3.00 per pair. Be sure to have your money with you. It is a good idea to purchase an extra pair, just in case. Also, for extended weekend trips with several performances, the second pair will come in very handy. If anyone loses their gloves, you must purchase a new pair. Take care of this very visible part of your uniform!
Special notes on your appearance for our performances:
1. No jewelry is to be worn during performances. This includes rings and watches. Ladies may wear earring posts only if they are covered by Band-Aid material. If your ears were not already pierced, it would be wise to wait until after our season is done!
2. Guys are allowed to wear earrings for rehearsals or other non-performance times while with the band. The following guidelines apply to guys – you are permitted to wear one post or stud earring per ear. You are not permitted to wear dangling or hoop earrings, or more than one earring per ear lobe.
3. Hair must be worn back. There are to be no bangs allowed to hang down in front, or curls down the side. If the hair reaches over the collar of the uniform, it must be worn under the hat, either pinned up or contained in a hair net. This includes gentlemen whose hair is long and/or unkempt. Gentlemen, it is best if your hair is cut short for the summer.
4. Gentlemen must be clean-shaven for all performances.
Attire when with the band:
As we head into the summer season, we would like to remind you to use good taste and judgement in your choice of what to wear. Remember that we are all witnesses for our Savior, even in rehearsals! Please follow these guidelines:
1. Extremely short shorts, bare midriffs, nearly-bare midriffs (if your tummy shows when you stretch up), spaghetti-strap tank-tops, or the very loose-fitting sleeveless-style tops are not acceptable for any of our members, male or female, as these could detract from the image and purpose of our band, and could possibly prove to be a stumbling block for others.
2. Gentlemen must wear a shirt at all times, for the same reasons as in #1.
3. Shirts, caps, or other clothing with logos of rock groups, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, or objectionable slogans are not to be worn, as they detract from the image and purpose of our band.
4. Shoes must be worn at all times, except when sleeping or going to or from the shower. Shower flip-flops are encouraged.
A good rule of thumb in choosing clothing for any LVW activity is this: If you have to ask, don’t wear it!
Emergency phone numbers for camp:
FVL - 920-739-4441
Mr. Neujahr cell phone - 920-740-3924
Mr. Kramer cell phone - 920-242-9835
Help needed with uniforms during camp – ESPECIALLY TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY!:
Kathy Krahn is looking for several parents to help with uniform tasks during the week of camp. No real skill is necessary for fitting uniforms – only a willingness to help LVW members look their best! Call Kathy at 920-858-4760 (anytime) or email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to help during camp, for a day or for a few hours!