It will be the "BIGGEST WEEK OF THE SEASON" with six parades in seven days! The first parade of this week will take place on Sunday, July 2, at the Hartland Hometown Celebration Parade. The next day, Monday night, July 3, we march in the Menomonee Falls Independence Day Parade. We will then be participating in two parades on our nation's birthday, July 4, in Racine and Somers. Then on Wednesday the band heads to our "home away from home" at the National Cherry Festival in beautiful Traverse City, Michigan. The band will participate in parades on Thursday, July 6 and Saturday, July 8. Over the years - more often than not - we have ended our season in Traverse City. We have not been there since 2018, so this will be much needed return to the city and festival that so many LVW members and volunteers have come to love and appreciate!
Many thanks go out to our crew of volunteers! Our kitchen coordinators and workers put in more time than anyone can imagine keeping our band fed and well nourished! The uniform staff has done well to keep us looking awesome! Again, their work behind the scenes and on off days is much appreciated. Thanks especially to Tim Klemp, our Volunteer Coordinator, Michelle Klemp, our Food Service Coordinator, and Chuck Adrian, our Head Uniform Custodian. A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR VOLUNTEERS!
The first three weeks of our season have been spent primarily in rehearsal with a few parades. The kids and staff have pushed to make our parade performances as good as they can possibly be. They have successfully added "Clouds that Sail in Heaven" with new guard work, music, and drill. They have added the "backwards marching" during the Doxology Tag. Their efforts will finally be rewarded with some much needed Free Time and Fun Time for socializing!
Here are some of the fun/free time activities we have planned:
1. Tuesday, July 4 - Mr. Wordell has once again planned out some great fun for the LVW family!
We will be spending several hours on the Kenosha Lakefront/Harbor area (the link includes a map of the area). It will include a meal “On Your Own” for supper, as well as an amazing fireworks show. LVW will supply each marching member with $10 cash for this meal.
There are several food options in the area. We will give the band members more detailed information when we arrive at the Harbor area. Plan on eating either at a restaurant or choose from several food trucks/booths. Most of these eateries will be open until 9:00 PM that night.
There will be a Carnival in the area! It will be very close to all of the other activities. It will be located in the parking lot on 6th Avenue between 54th and 56th Street. There will be amusements and rides available. So if a carnival is your thing, bring some money to spend and have some fun!
Kenosha is known to have one of the best fireworks shows in the Midwest! They will be launched right on the Lake Michigan beach, with beautiful viewing along the lake. It’s hard to tell at this time what the weather will be like on Tuesday, but Mr. Wordell is suggesting that we bring blankets, jackets, and skeeter spray (after all the rain the past few days). The show is scheduled to begin at about 9:30 PM. We will designate a meeting spot, so all LVW members will need to be there before 9:30 so we can take attendance before the fireworks begin.
2. Friday, July 7 - After a morning rehearsal, the band will be taking the rest of the day off for free time at the National Cherry Festival! We are making a return to the Sleeping Bear Dunes near Traverse City. Then LVW will have several hours at the National Cherry Festival grounds as well as Downtown Traverse City. In all of our years traveling with the band - Traverse City seems to be our favorite destination! LVW members will need SPENDING MONEY for shopping downtown as well as at the Festival Grounds. LVW will again supply each marching member with $10 cash on this day to be used for their supper, as they will be "on their own" at the festival and downtown.
We will be staying at Kettle Moraine Lutheran HS on Sunday evening, and at Shoreland Lutheran HS on Monday and Tuesday evening until we depart for Traverse City on Wednesday morning, so all staff and LVW members are to pack accordingly. Remember, you should pack for SEVEN days, but again try to utilize small suitcases and duffel bags. We are traveling with school buses on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday so space will be VERY limited. We will be traveling on luxurious Personalized Tours Motorcoaches for the trip to Traverse City!
Here is a summary of our performances this coming week. The links provided here and in the daily itinerary below will take you directly to information provided by each parade committee or organization. You will see routes, times, and maps. There are also links to locations and other parade information on our Google Calendar on the Schedule tab. Click on each event for more info!
Sunday, July 2 – Hartland Hometown Celebration Parade (1:30 PM)
Monday, July 3 – Menomonee Falls Independence Day Parade (7:00 PM)
Tuesday, July 4 – Racine 4th Fest Parade (9:00 AM); Somers July 4th Parade (2:00 PM)
Wednesday, July 5 - Travel to Traverse City, move into housing at Trinity Lutheran School
Thursday, July 6 – Cherry Festival Community Royale Parade (6:30 PM)
Friday, July 7 - Morning rehearsal, afternoon at the Dunes and evening Downtown Traverse City
Saturday, July 8 – Cherry Royale Parade (11:15 AM); then return home
Tour Housing and Emergency Contact Information:
Kettle Moraine Lutheran HS (Sunday night)
3399 Division Rd, Jackson, WI 53037
Shoreland Lutheran HS (Monday and Tuesday nights)
9026 12th St, Kenosha, WI 53144
Trinity Lutheran Church and School (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights)
1003 South Maple
Traverse City, MI 49684
Trinity Lutheran Church and School: 231-946-2720
Emergency contact information:
James Neujahr Mobile Phone - 920-740-3924
LVW Medications Permissions Information and Form
It was brought to our attention that, on the medical form that you have filled out (which contains medical conditions and allergy information), we don’t necessarily have permission to give over-the-counter medications to LVW members if they need it. Some of our members regularly carry medications like Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and the like. However, many of our members don’t carry them as a rule.
Some of our members also carry epi pens and similar emergency or life-saving medications that are prescribed. We also want to make sure that the LVW Medical Volunteer is aware of these medications.
Please read the LVW Medications Permissions Information.
Once you have completed reading the information, please go to the Medications Permissions Form to give your permission for our LVW Medical Volunteer(s) to administer over-the-counter medications, and possibly prescription medications to your LVW member(s). Please fill out one Medications Permissions Form for each LVW member.
It is VERY IMPORTANT that you have your luggage, backpacks, sleeping bags, etc. LABELED WITH YOUR NAME and SCHOOL! It is likely that, due to our packing situation on school buses and the coaches, your gear will not all be together. There will also be times when some gear must go on certain buses, and even certain bays underneath a certain bus. So labeling your gear will be required. Please get luggage tags or use another system that works for you. THANK YOU FOR COMPLYING WITH THIS SIMPLE REQUEST!
1 Sleeping bag and pillow
2. Air mattress (optional) - Some of our members have HUGE air mattresses that are about the size of a medium suitcase when not inflated. If you have other options for this trip, or a smaller air mattress, PLEASE CONSIDER OUR SPACE LIMITATIONS!
3. ONE suitcase and ONE SMALL Carry-on bag (for motorcoach travel and change of clothes) - PLEASE NOTE – we will have VERY LIMITED SPACE for the first few days as we travel on school buses. If your sleeping bag/pillow fit into your suitcase, please pack it that way.
4. All personal items as needed (towel, soap and shampoo, change of clothes, DEODORANT, etc.)
5. BLACK SHOES AND SOCKS, BLACK A-4 T-SHIRTS, BLACK GLOVES, GUARD APPAREL, ETC. (we have SIX parades on this trip!). It would be wise to plan on hand-washing your uniform socks/A4 shirts a few times on this trip. Packing a small bottle of Woolite or laundry detergent would be a good idea.
6. LVW 2023 Season T-Shirt
7. Instruments, music, etc.
8. Water jugs, sunscreen, bug spray, sunglasses, comfortable marching shoes, hats, etc.
EXTRA INFO - students may want to bring swimsuits and towels, as there is a very nice beach area near the Cherry Festival grounds. Some students also choose to walk the approximately 2 miles from the Dunes to the Lake Michigan shoreline. Swimming is optional for all LVW students.
Items to consider having on the Personalized Tours Motorcoaches for our trip to Traverse City:
Bring on the coach bus in your small carry-on bag
1. Charging cord for devices (there's an outlet on each side of the bus and every other row of seats) - a small power strip works well for multiple devices!
3. A blanket (air conditioning is quite chilly)
4. A DVD movie (one to watch on the bus monitors, PG-13, PG, or G.) - NOTE - the buses can play DVD, not Blu-Ray.
5. Comfy clothes and sweatshirt for bus ride
6. A few snacks for the bus ride, but not many and nothing messy.
Here is information from Personalized Tours concerning food and beverages on the Motorcoach:
- We require that ALL drinks brought onboard have a screw-on type cap or a lid. NO GLASS CONTAINERS WILL BE ALLOWED. Any food wrappers or trash associated with bringing food and drinks aboard must be disposed of in the proper receptacle. It is the responsibility of the LVW members to make sure the bus stays clean!
- DAIRY PRODUCTS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE COACH!! This includes milk, milkshakes, ice cream, and ice cream coffee drinks. If they are spilled on a seat, it leaves a sour milk smell that does not come out.
- Absolutely no gum, sunflower seeds, or shelled peanuts are allowed on the motorcoach.
- Food & drinks on the coach is a privilege and can be revoked by the driver if inappropriate behavior warrants such action.
- Set aside $15-20 for the Traverse City marching band t-shirt. I am not sure if they still offer these. If so, they can be purchased at the Cherry Festival grounds. Band members can purchase them if they wish.
- Set aside money for your supper at the Cherry Festival Fairgrounds/TC downtown for the evening of Friday, July 7. There are MANY choices of great places to eat, from nicer restaurants and bistros downtown to vendor tents in the Festival Grounds and the Carnival. Obviously, some places are more expensive than others. NOTE – LVW will give each marching member $10 for this purpose, but it likely won’t be enough.
Checkout Procedures for Saturday, July 8:
If you are going to be picked up following the Cherry Royale parade, and are not traveling home with LVW, the following procedures MUST be followed:
1. Your parents must pick you up following the parade. That will be on Saturday after the Cherry Royale Parade. If you pick up your child after the parade, please pick up your child at Trinity Lutheran Church and School. Please be aware, if you are picking up your child, you must be there before the band is ready to leave. If you are not there when the band is ready to leave, your child will come with the band to Wisconsin, and you can pick them up at one of our designated drop off locations.
2. Your parents must check you out with the attendance chaperon from your bus. This must be done with you and your parent present.
3. If your parents are not there when the band is ready to leave, you will come with us. We leave no one behind – EVER!
4. You may not ride home with anyone else other than your parents UNLESS you have a written permission signed by your parents, and UNLESS that written permission is put into our hands. Parents may also email either Mr. Neujahr or Mr. Klemp, or text Mr. Neujahr at 920-740-3924 with that information. If you are bringing a signed note, DON’T FORGET THE NOTE AT HOME, because there are NO EXCEPTIONS!
Daily Itinerary for Sunday through Saturday
7:30 AM Arrive at FVL, Pack gear on buses
8:00 AM Depart for KML
8:45 AM Pick Up students at Kwik Trip #242, 980 Hickory Street, Fond du Lac, WI 54935
9:30 AM Arrive Kettle Moraine LHS – Unload gear, move into housing
9:45 AM Brief Stretch and Rehearsal
10:45 AM Bag Lunch, Change into uniform, load
11:30 AM Depart for Hartland, WI (Hartland Staging Area and Parade Route).
12:15 PM Arrive Hartland. LVW is #42 of 80 units in the parade (Hartland Parade Line Up).
1:30 PM Parade Begins
3:30 PM Parade Ends – Load buses and head KML
4:15 PM Arrive Kettle Moraine LHS. Group Pictures in Uniform
5:00 PM Change out of uniform
5:30 PM Supper
6:30 PM Rehearsal
9:00 PM Devotion
10:00 PM Lights Out
Monday, July 3
7:30 AM Wake Up, Shower, Eat Breakfast
8:30 AM Rehearsal
11:30 AM Lunch
12:15 PM Rehearsal
2:00 PM Rehearsal ends, Clean School
4:00 PM Pack, Load Truck and Buses
4:30 PM Depart for Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran School, N84 W15252 Menomonee Ave, Menomonee Falls, WI 53051
4:50 PM Arrive Bethlehem Lutheran School, Unload
5:00 PM Supper
5:45 PM Change into uniform, pre-parade warm up at Bethlehem
7:00 PM Parade begins – Parade ends at Menomonee Falls HS, W142 N8101 Merrimac Dr, Menomonee Falls, WI 53051 LVW is #37 out of 63 Parade Units
10:00 PM Depart for Shoreland Lutheran HS (9026 12th St, Kenosha, WI 53144)
11:00 PM Arrive Shoreland LHS – Unload, move in
12:00 AM Lights Out
Tuesday, July 4
Wednesday, July 4 – Happy Birthday, America! Parade Day! Evening Free Time and Fireworks!
6:15 AM Wake up, shower, eat, change into uniform
7:00 AM Buses arrive - Pack and load at Shoreland LHS
7:30 AM Depart for Racine Parade Line Up
8:15 AM Arrive line up, unload, warm up
9:00 AM Racine Fourth Fest Parade begins - LVW is #56 in this parade.
11:30 AM Depart for Shoreland Lutheran HS, Somers
12:00 PM Arrive Shoreland Lutheran HS. Eat lunch, prepare for Somers Parade.
2:00 PM Somers Parade Begins.
3:30 PM Return to Shoreland LHS following the parade. Change, Shower, Relax Time!
5:00 PM Depart for Kenosha Lakefront - There is more information on this earlier in this post.
10:30 PM Return to Shoreland LHS (after the fireworks are finished).
11:30 PM Devotion and Lights Out
Wednesday, July 5
Travel Day – Kenosha to Traverse City, MI (387 Miles) – Rest Stops along the way
Upon arrival, we will unload and move into our housing at Trinity Lutheran School. Possible Evening Rehearsal and Free Time to Relax before lights out.
Thursday, July 6
Rehearsal Day, Community Royale Parade
7:30 AM Wake Up, Shower, Eat Breakfast
8:30 AM Rehearsal
11:30 PM Lunch
12:30 PM Rehearsal
4:30 PM Supper
5:15 PM Change into Half Uniform, load buses/truck
5:45 PM Depart for line up
6:30 PM Community Royale Parade Begins – LVW is #53 out of 101 units in this parade
8:30 PM Return to Trinity, change out of uniform
8:30 PM Relax Time
10:30 PM Devotion
11:00 PM Lights out
Friday, July 7
Rehearsal day; Sleeping Bear Dunes, Cherry Festival Grounds, Downtown Traverse City
7:30 AM Wake up, shower, eat
8:30 AM Rehearsal
11:30 AM Lunch
12:30 PM Depart for Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
1:15 PM Arrive Dunes
4:15 PM Depart for Cherry Festival
5:00 PM Arrive National Cherry Festival
5:00 PM SUPPER IS ON YOUR OWN. LVW will supply members $10 for supper. Bring money for souvenirs, shopping
9:00 PM Return to Trinity
11:15 PM Devotion
11:45 PM Lights out
Saturday, July 8
DTE Energy Cherry Royale Parade
7:30 AM Wake Up, Shower, eat breakfast
8:30 AM. Pack and Load as much as possible before getting into uniform
11:00 AM Change into uniform
11:30 AM Depart for Line up
11:15 AM Cherry Royale Parade Begins – LVW is #131 out of 133 units in this parade
2:00 PM Return to Trinity
2:30 PM Change out of uniform, eat lunch, shower, Final Cleaning, Packing and Loading
4:00 PM Depart for home
6:30 PM Supper along the way (TBD)
7:30 PM Depart for home - Change watches BACK one hour when you get to Chicago
10:15 PM. Relief Driver switch at SLHS
10:45 PM Arrive Wisconsin LHS
11:15 PM Arrive KML (Stop at FDL Kwik Trip – Time TBD)
1:15 AM Arrive FVL
I Chronicles 29:11 "Lord Our God - All that is in the Heavens and the earth is Yours."