First - a word about our uniforms. As you know, we will be wearing brand new uniforms this summer! We purchased 100 uniforms, which we thought would be plenty to carry us into the near future. We are good to go for this summer! For one reason, most of the members for this summer were measured for a new uniform back in January. We have added members since then, but with the additional uniforms we will have enough to fit everyone. For how long? That's a good question! As of today, we have 83 members in LVW! That is up from 49 in 2021, and 77 in 2022. There are still a few possible new members for this coming summer. When we put the band on the street this summer, with the added banner/detail section, we will have approximately 90 students Letting their Light Shine! How awesome is that?!?!?!? Will this growth continue and we will need to purchase more uniforms for 2024? We hope so!
This post contains LOTS of information! Please take the time to read through EVERYTHING, as there are important details for both MEMBERS and PARENTS - so make sure members and parents read through this. It would be a great idea to sit down and do this together, so that nothing is left to chance or missed.
Check Back to this Site OFTEN!
This website is the main method of communication for LVW. Important updates, such as weekly itineraries, travel information, and weekend-specific information will always be posted on the "Director's Updates" page. We will also send periodic notifications via email and Facebook (this is LVW's general Facebook page), but those messages will almost always direct you to this page. Important links will also be posted to the LVW Homepage, but again, those links will usually direct you here.
Volunteering for LVW - A Great Opportunity to Let Your Light Shine!
We are again be using "SignUp.com" to indicate when, where, and how you would like to assist. For more information about Volunteering, go to our VOLUNTEER INFO. MANY spots are still open! We are especially in need of helpers for the kitchen during Camp #1 week, and lots of other tasks throughout the summer.
Updated June and July Calendar
A Google Calendar for LVW 2023 events has been posted to our "Schedule" page. You can click on individual events for more detailed information, including times, locations, and maps! This will be added to and updated as more information becomes available.
Important Band Camp Information:
Dates: Tuesday, June 6 – Saturday, June 10
Beginning time: 2:00 PM on Tuesday (arrive by 1:30)
Place: All camp activities will take place at FVL in Appleton, with a parade in Brillion (Friday) and Appleton (Saturday).
We will be running a bus from KML to Appleton, with planned stops along HWY 41 (possibly the Allenton Park and Ride) and in Fond du Lac at the Hickory Street Kwik Trip. More details will follow as soon as plans are finalized. This bus is provided for WLHS, KML, LPS, and WLA students and staff.
Housing during Camp #1, Camp #2, and Camp #3
All LVW Members will be staying overnight at FVL during the first three camps of the season.
LVW Staff and Members should bring a bag Supper for Tuesday, June 6.
All other meals along with all beverages will be provided during camp. Please bring something healthy, such as a sandwich, fresh fruit/vegetables in addition to chips/dessert items. LVW will provide beverages for the meal.
The best liquids to drink at rehearsals are products such as Gatorade, PowerAde, lemonade and other fruit juices, or plain cold water. Please do not bring POP (soda) to drink on rehearsal days for your lunch.
LVW Code of Conduct Form and Payments:
The LVW Code of Conduct was completed at registration. Please make sure that you are up to date with any payments.
Tuesday, June 6 2:00 - 9:00 PM
Wednesday,June 7 - 8:30 AM until 9:00 PM
Thursday,June 8 - 8:30 AM until 9:00 PM
Friday,June 9 - 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM; Brillion Electric Parade begins at 8:30 PM (This is a NEW time from previous years)
Saturday, June 10 - 8:30 - 11:00 AM
Appleton Flag Day Parade 2:00 PM - LVW's spot in the parade is #61 out of approximately100 units in the parade.
LVW members will be dismissed from FVL following the parade. (PLEASE NOTE - there is a possibility for a cookout for all members and their families following this parade. We will update you when information becomes available.) We will be changing out of uniform and making sure the school is clean and in order before departure. The expected time of departure will be approximately 5:00 - 5:30 PM on Saturday, June 10.
PLEASE NOTE - since almost all of the LVW parents attend the Appleton Flag Day Parade, we are not planning on a return bus that day. Your school director can help to arrange for rides home for students whose parents are not able to pick them up at FVL following the parade. Please plan accordingly.
First Performances of the Year:
Our first performance of the 2023 season is Friday, June 9. We will be marching in the Brillion Electric Parade. The parade will begin at 8:30 PM. A few words of caution for this parade: bring mosquito repellent, rain slickers and umbrellas (if past years are any indication of what we can expect)! The parade travels right down the middle of town on Main Street (South end and travels North) through the business district. As of this writing, LVW’s position in the parade is not known.
Then on Saturday, June10, LVW will appear in the 72nd Annual Appleton Flag Day Parade, the “largest and oldest Flag Day Parade in the United States.” This parade begins at 2:00 PM. The route begins at the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Oneida Street, travels west on Wisconsin to State Street where it turns south. It continues on State Street to College Avenue, where it travels east to Drew Street where the parade ends. There will be a reviewing stand where many, MANY LVW parents and fans like to congregate. The stand is in the block just before the end of the parade at 321 E College Avenue. Much more information can be found at APPLETON FLAG DAY PARADE. The website MAY be updated with a map of the parade route. A complete Parade Line Up may also be available in the near future by clicking the link. They also have a Facebook Page.
WFRV TV 5 will videotape the Parade for rebroadcast on WFRV TV 5. At the time of this writing it has not been announced when the parade will be broadcast (live and/or tape-delay).
What to bring with you to band camp:
LVW members should pack clothing for five days of rehearsal and performance. Please remember your personal uniform items, which include the black shoes/socks, gloves, and t-shirts. PLEASE NOTE – gloves and the special Uniform Compression Shirt will be handed out at Camp. There is a more detailed packing list for band camp following so you can make sure you have all of the necessary items.
Shoes and Shirt sizes were recorded when you registered for LVW. The shoes and shirts will be ready to hand out at camp. Returning members - please don't forget your shoes if you did not order new ones!
If you have not yet purchased shoes, shirts, or the color guard personal items for 2023, please go to our JOIN page and click on the LVW Store links. There are three separate buttons for Shoes, Shirts, and Guard items. You can purchase the items there. We will be ordering by the end of this week (May 20) so please do this ASAP! If your compression shirts and shoes still fit from last summer, you will not need to purchase new ones.
We will be staying at FVL on Tuesday through Friday night. All members should bring a sleeping bag/pillow/air mattress and personal items (deodorant/towel/soap/shampoo/etc).
1. Instrument and/or other necessary equipment
2. All music and warm-ups—memorized as much as possible!
3. Enough comfortable clothing for five days of camp, especially comfortable shoes!! (Note that no sandals of any kind will be allowed for any marching or music rehearsals) Bring clothes for very warm or cool weather.
4. Sunscreen or sunblock (SPF 30 or higher) – and be sure to use it! A WIDE-BRIMMED hat/baseball cap is also a MUST. We will be outside for much of camp.
5. A one gallon (or other large size) water jug LABLED WITH YOUR NAME
6. Reeds, valve oil, slide grease, cork grease, etc.
7. Sunglasses are a definite bonus!
8. Tennis shoes for use indoors—the shoes used outside may not be allowed on the gym floors if they are too dirty.
9. Frisbees, cards, cribbage boards, chess sets, etc. for any free time that you may have (NOTE: Frisbees and balls or any other throwing device will not be used at any time inside any building – this rule applies to the entire summer.)
10. Your black marching shoes (some members will be receiving these at Band Camp)
11. BLACK SOCKS for all members, including guard
12. Black Spandex or Bike shorts for under your uniform
14. Anything else that you will need for your marching instrument, equipment, uniform, and performance
15. LOTS OF ENTHUSIASM AND A STRONG DESIRE TO LEARN!!
Color guard members are to make sure that you have all of the needed uniform items, which include black socks, black spandex shorts and other parts of the uniform (which will be supplied to you before our first performances). Guard instructor Angela Hohenstein may send an email to all guard members with more information.
We will be wearing our new LVW uniforms for all performances this summer. These uniforms become the visual representation of who and what we are. Wear your uniform with pride and respect, and take care of it in the same way! Guidelines on how to take proper care of your new uniform will be given to you during band camp.
All wind and percussion players are to bring along black shoes, black socks, and black shorts as outlined above. Everyone will be given a pair of PERFORMANCE gloves, which will be worn with the uniform. The first pair will be free. For all extra gloves that you may need for the summer, the cost will be $3.00 per pair. Be sure to have your money with you. It is a good idea to purchase an extra pair, just in case. Also, for extended weekend trips with several performances, the second pair will come in very handy. If anyone loses their gloves, a new pair must be purchased. Take care of this very visible part of your uniform!
Special notes on your appearance for our performances:
1. No jewelry is to be worn during performances. This includes rings and watches. Ladies may wear earring posts only if they are covered by Band-Aid material. If your ears were not already pierced, it would be wise to wait until after our season is done!
2. Guys are allowed to wear earrings for rehearsals or other non-performance times while with the band. The following guidelines apply to guys – you are permitted to wear one post or stud earring per ear. You are not permitted to wear dangling or hoop earrings, or more than one earring per ear lobe.
3. Hair must be worn up in the hat. There are to be no bangs allowed to hang down in front, or curls down the side. If the hair reaches over the collar of the uniform, it must be worn under the hat, either pinned up or contained in a hair net. This includes gentlemen whose hair is long and/or unkempt. Gentlemen, it is best if your hair is cut short for the summer.
4. Gentlemen must be clean-shaven for all performances.
Attire when with the band:
As we head into the summer season, we would like to remind you to use good taste and judgement in your choice of what to wear. Remember that we are all witnesses for our Savior, even in rehearsals! Please follow these guidelines:
1. Extremely short shorts, bare midriffs, nearly-bare midriffs (if your tummy shows when you stretch up), spaghetti-strap tank-tops, or the very loose-fitting sleeveless-style tops are not acceptable for any of our members, male or female, as these could detract from the image and purpose of our band, and could possibly prove to be a stumbling block for others.
2. Gentlemen must wear a shirt at all times, for the same reasons as in #1.
3. Shirts, caps, or other clothing with logos of rock groups, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, or objectionable slogans are not to be worn, as they detract from the image and purpose of our band.
4. Shoes must be worn at all times, except when sleeping. Shower flip-flops should be worn to and from the showers.
A good rule of thumb in choosing clothing for any LVW activity is this: If you have to ask, don’t wear it!
Emergency phone numbers for camp:
FVL - 920-739-4441
Mr. Neujahr mobile phone - 920-740-3924
Help needed with uniforms during camp – ESPECIALLY Tuesday!:
We are looking for a few parents to help with uniform tasks during the week of camp. No real skill is necessary for fitting uniforms – only a willingness to help LVW members look their best! We will begin fitting members already on Tuesday, so any and all help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
OF SPECIAL NOTE - we are looking for a few moms/dads who would be willing to take on the role of Uniform Custodian(s). It has been a few years since LVW has had this position filled. A parent (or parents) from any school is welcome, but it would be especially nice if an FVL parent or two (or more) would be able to fill this position. What is needed? This parent would help with the uniform fittings during camp, and also attend to uniform needs throughout the season. They will be washed likely once before the last week of the summer, and again after the summer is over. They are machine washable! This person (or persons) would be around when the band is changing either into or out of their uniforms to make sure that everything runs smoothly. The duties of this position will be more fully discussed if/when someone fills that role. If you are interested, please email me at email@example.com.